Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Asparagus!


Asparagus is in plenty at the farmers market and although the old standby is steamed then slathered in butter, many of us have been exploring other options.

Asparagus roots are planted in fall or very early spring and although in its first year it will send up shoots here and there it actually takes two years for the plants to settle in and produce at its optimal production. Folks that plant asparagus are in it for the long haul. The asparagus bed must be well thought out because that’s where it will be for years to come. More folks would grow it but I think the permanency and the not so immediate gratification scares a lot of us off. I’ll say I have always wanted to be in a place that I could plant me rows and rows of it and not have to worry about the future or where I might be when the tender tips start rising up to the spring sun.

In the kitchen, because it’s my very favorite vegetable I have myself a ball and I make it about 800 different ways until I just can’t think of another way to fix it. It’s quite fun and I haven’t gotten tired of it yet. Here is one of my favorite ways to prepare asparagus.

Roasted Asparagus and Peppers

1 pound fresh asparagus, sliced on the diagonal
1 red bell pepper cut into 2-inch slices
1 yellow bell pepper cut into 2-inch slices
2 teaspoons olive oil
Optional dressing:
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400ยบ. On heavy sheet pan, spread vegetables out and drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Roast for 7 to 12 minutes or until crisp tender, tossing with spatula once or twice during cooking. (Put parchment paper on sheet pan to make clean up easier).

*Zucchini, eggplant, onions, and potatoes roast well. Cooking time may vary, especially for potatoes. Roasted vegetables can be added to tomato sauce or pasta.

Whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, salt, and pepper. Pour over hot or room temperature vegetables.

Serves: 6 Calories: 60 Protein: 2.5 g Carbohydrate: 4 g Total fat: 4 g
Saturated fat: 0 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Fiber: 2 g Sodium: 20 mg

Seretean Wellness Center at Oklahoma State University

No comments:


1514 W. Hall of Fame - Stillwater OK, 74078 - 405.744.WELL (9355) WELLNESS.OKSTATE.EDU

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones