Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Kale!


I’ll be honest - between feeding fourteen kids three times a day, milking six goats, working in the green house, and getting the garden up to farmer’s market standard there is not much time to rest or do much else. But it’s a type of work and a type of tiredness I can tolerate. When I go out into the garden and I see the seeds we’ve sewn sprouting and coming on strong I know there will be lots of food to harvest. When I look in the cooler and see eight whole gallons of fresh goat milk I know cheese will be made and when I look in the green house and see rows of bright green healthy plants I have hope. When I set up the booth at the farmers market full of wonderful produce and come home with none, I know I am living the dream. In spite of some heart ache, minor setbacks, and a very achy lower back there is a deep happiness I have found here that I’ve never known before.

But enough of that, now down to the business of eating. The predominant item at the Farmers Market last Saturday was Kale. Many folks have told me they have no idea what to do with this stuff and I will assure you, was I time I didn’t either.

In 1996 I opened up a Sicilian restaurant with a partner who was indeed Sicilian. She was raised in Connecticut and had a rich East Coast Sicilian attitude. Her Sicilian born grandmother was the inspiration of many recipes and dishes we had on our menu and by far the most popular item was called Grandma’s greens. This is a twist on what many would be familiar with in southern cooked greens but this recipe had no pork fat, just seasonal greens, olive oil, garlic, raisins, pine nuts, olives and anchovies. This dish would melt in my mouth. We served it with corn bread to sop up all the delicious juices in the bottom of the bowl. It’s still on the menu today at La Medusa. To me this is comfort food at its finest. I hope you enjoy.

Braised Greens

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 bunch Russian kale, escarole or curly endive, washed and trimmed
5 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon pine nuts
1 tablespoon golden raisins
1 tablespoon chopped Kalamata olives
¼ cup water

In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil. Add the garlic and sauté for a minute. Quickly add the greens, give them a good toss. Then add the pine nuts, raisins, olives, and water. Braise until soft.

Serves: 4 Calories: 90 Protein: 3 g Carbohydrate: 8 g Total fat: 6 g
Saturated fat: 1 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Fiber: 4 g Sodium: 120 mg




No comments:


1514 W. Hall of Fame - Stillwater OK, 74078 - 405.744.WELL (9355) WELLNESS.OKSTATE.EDU

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones