Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Save the Date!

April 11, 2009!



Next Saturday is the first farmers market in Tulsa. It’s hard to believe spring is already here and yet I’ve anticipated it all winter. Stillwater is so fortunate to have a small but year round market. Now is our opportunity to begin eating with the seasons. Many venders at the market, including myself, will have the following items for the next 4 weeks or so:

Lettuce, green onions, chard, spinach arugula, radishes, baby greens like collards and kale, green garlic, fresh eggs, buffalo, and local meat. Let’s not forget about asparagus which should be making an appearance the last part of April/early May. The freeze has harmed some asparagus crops this year but hopefully they’ll bounce back.

I’ll be spending most of my days getting ready for the market on Saturday. The Brookside Herb and Plant Festival is where I’ll be selling tomato plants. That event is taking place on Saturday the 11th. It is held in the same parking area as Whole Foods (Old Wild Oats). There is also a garden and plant event at the Tulsa Garden Center the same day. If you are up for an excursion to Tulsa stop by and see me at the Brookside Festival. It's still a little early to plant your tomatoes and peppers so don’t let this recent forecast of mild nights fool ya. I wait until at least April 20th to plant any of those items unless I have proper protection from the inevitable late freeze we get every year and every year I’m surprised.

So because I know you’ll be shopping at the farmers market now I’ll give you some tips.

  • Get to the market early so you get the best pick of things.
    Bring plenty of single dollar bills
  • Only buy what you can eat within one week, unless you are prepared to process or freeze.
    If you feel like you might have some extra time buy in quantity and freeze for off season use.
  • When you get home plan on spending some time with your new purchases. If you have bought lettuce go ahead and cut, wash spin (if you don’t have a salad spinner it’s a great item to have), and store. It will stay fresh longer and will be ready to use. Wash all produce and then refrigerate. Most things will remain fresher longer and then you have one less step when you doing the real work, cooking it.
  • Never be afraid to try something new. The vender can tell you how to prepare it at most likely will also have recipes.
  • Ask questions. Take it from me - venders love to talk about their produce, and themselves ;)

I’m so excited I can hardly stand it. This is my recipe in honor of the farmers market!
I really have to keep my sense of humor. I just looked out my front window and noticed I have a bunch of goats wandering in my herb bed……. I’m outa here!

Early Spring Radish Salad with Mint Pesto
One bunch fresh market radishes washed and cleaned. Chop the radish greens.
For the mint pesto:
1 bunch mint (½ cup)
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 ounce shelled pecans or walnuts
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese

With this salad, use the radishes and the greens if they look good. Slice the radishes and chop the greens.
In a food processor, combine all of the pesto ingredients and blend until smooth. Toss the radishes in the pesto and serve as is or with bruschetta (slice of rustic bread rubbed lightly with olive oil, toasted and rubbed with raw garlic. Heck of a good salad!

Serves: 4 Calories: 130 Protein: 2 g Carbohydrate: 4 g Total fat: 12 g
Saturated fat: 1.5 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 40 mg Fiber: .5 g

Seretean Wellness Center at Oklahoma State University


Recipe by Chef Lisa Becklund


No comments:


1514 W. Hall of Fame - Stillwater OK, 74078 - 405.744.WELL (9355) WELLNESS.OKSTATE.EDU

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones